Skip to main content

Losing Faith?


In a recent conversation with a perfect stranger, I mentioned that I would be starting my Masters of Divinity at Harvard this fall, to which the perfect stranger replied, “That’s great, I just hope you don’t lose your faith there.”

Lose my faith?  What a funny expression.  Is that akin to losing your marbles, mind, hair, virginity or orthodontic retainer (I have personally lost 8 retainers, mostly because I forgot them in the napkins I threw away).   The way he said “lose your faith” implied that it’s here one minute and then, whoops, gone the next, as if I have little agency in the matter.

Of course, I know what is meant by the expression.  Critical questions and religious diversity, both hallmarks of a graduate education at Harvard, are viewed by some as potential threats to one’s faith- a slippery slope of reasoning, casuistry, and uncensored exposure that can lead to the total unraveling of a person’s faith. 

I am continually shocked by the white-knuckled inflexibility with which some people hold their faith and the refusal to allow that faith to be probed in a spirit of intellectual honesty and existential integrity.  However, that’s just my personal theological bent.  What I actually find most appalling, and even belittling, about this claim is the phrase itself: “to lose faith.”

I wonder if this stranger ever considered that those “misplacers” of faith have faithfully renounced it, deliberately thrown it away, or salvaged only what was truly tenable in their lives, so as to make way for a spirituality that could abide worthy questions and wonderful diversity and the pervasive complexity of life? 

Losing faith grants too much passivity and helplessness to what may range from a flagrant act of defiance to an intentional shift in ideology or consciousness.  “Losing faith” may mean casting off what was once a psychological crutch, not real, organic, life-grown truth. 

Instead of beginning from a place of absence, or from what it is suddenly missing from our tiny, solipsistic perception of one another’s spiritual life, why don’t we look at presence?  What is growing in a human being and is it allowing them to realize their fullest, generative potential?  In paying attention to what has been gained in one’s life, it is easy to recognize something holy, though perhaps unfamiliar, underfoot. 

 I do not mean to imply any disrespect towards religious convictions as such or to suggest that anyone should recklessly throw their beliefs away, particularly if they have proven genuinely life-giving.  I simply object to the expression, “lose faith” for its inability to recognize and honor the varieties of spiritual experience that are possible for a human being.  It seems that in all negotiations of religious identity there is a responsible party calling the shots, and even if you disagree with those shots, please, allow her that agency. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Reflection on Breaking-Up

It’s happening again.   One of my good friends is on the other end of a telephone call, holding back tears as she recounts the details of her recent break-up. She is a strong, fiercely independent woman, who has counseled and coached the rest of us through the emotional train wreck of many collective break-ups.   Two years ago, she told me, “Maggi, when you end a relationship, you find yourself waking up every morning to a dull heart-ache perched upon your chest and you really, really believe your world is over.”   You roll yourself out of bed anyway. You make the route cup of coffee.   You stumble into the shower and let the steam swell around you.   If you’re feeling especially lifeless, you drape your hair over your ears, so that the cascade of hot water makes a deep rushing sound, like being swept beneath the sea to a powerfully calm, fetal state of being, where the roar of running water drowns out all the piercing thoughts in your head.   You long to sink into this nothi

“Storyteller”: Yet Another Tribute to My Aunts & an Account For My Hope

Rod Stewart is one sexy man. This is, at least, what my aunts have conveyed to me over years of concert going, stage crashing, and radio blasting rides. Apparently, the only thing that compares to that dirty blonde rock and roll mane and those skin tight leopard pants, is a voice so raspy and soulful it “will steal your heart away.” And while I wanted nothing more than to tag along with my mom and aunts, each of them icons of that oh-so-distantly-enchanted womanhood, the concerts were always waaay past my bedtime. So I perched on the edge of the bed as late as I could, watching them gussy up in a cloud of Hairnet and polka dot ensembles, as they convinced me that a dab of confidence was all one needed to storm the stage like a rock star. And dance with Rod, of course. Were You Tube around in the 80s, they would have video footage testifying to their stage-robbing fame and you would have no trouble imagining how enormously cool they really were. Whether boosting one anot

A Preferrential Option for God As 'She'

The Scandalous Feminine Three weeks ago I wrote a piece for the Catholic blog “God In All Things.” It’s a website devoted to the spiritual practices of St. Ignatius of Loyola, featuring writing on prayer, discernment, imagination, and a basic willingness to see God in, well, all things. The topic of my piece was “Spiritual Déjà vu,” an expression I coined to describe the heightened sense of God’s presence when we encounter deep truths.  The essay was a total of 1,148 words in length, but there was only one word that evoked controversy: She . It was used only once, in the first sentence: “I used to be quite frustrated that God never spoke directly to me the way She spoke to the Hebrew prophets.” And yet, it provoked a deluge of comments ranging from the dismissive, “ Why is God…”she”? I do not understand that? I’m reluctant to even read past that” to the recommendation that I, “ review the sins of Heresy, Apostasy and Schism.”   Basically the comments section reads like a m