Skip to main content

The Story Beneath My Feet

She was entering her senior year, at “the college,” shorthand for Harvard University’s undergraduate school. But already she was planning to take her postgraduate career across the country to golden California. This much I overheard from a stranger, riding on the “T.”

With one hand gripping a side rail and two feet spread upon the shifting floor, I stood, balancing the East Coast ride as if I were surfing the Pacific ocean. I laughed to myself about the irony of the ride and the Harvard student’s remarks: my home state was becoming her adventure destination, just as Boston has become mine. As I listened to her muse about the unique California culture and its endless sunshine, everything about her dreaming was immediately familiar. The wonder, the excitement, the stereotypical assumptions-all that goes along with moving into the unknown, it was all there, but written in the opposite direction of my own great move. California is as exotic to her, I thought, as Boston feels to me.

And as I rode the remainder of the way to my stop, it occurred to me that the story of Boston’s exoticism could be told almost entirely from the perspective of one’s feet. In an average week, I probably spend about 2 hours traveling on the “T” and 3 to 4 hours walking the streets of Cambridge. I have not so much as sat in a car in almost 3 months. But this is not about mere comparison.

It is about the soft, hollow feel of brick beneath my boots, which gives each step a bounce more generous than concrete and a sound as rich as the clacking of horseshoes. It is the narrow staircase I climb to our third floor apartment, fumbling with scarf and keys, unzipping my jacket swiftly so as to beat the enfolding heat of the building. In less than 5 steps I must strip as many layers as possible before the indoor temperature reaches a suffocating intensity. It is the feel of the smooth wood floor, (ubiquitous to New England) upon my bare feet as I slide across the flood of morning light. It is standing in a late afternoon flurry of red and orange leaves that spin so hypnotically, you actually believe the world has been shook like a snow globe.

Living on the East Coast is an adventure I could chronicle in so many ways, but for today, the contours beneath my feet say it all.

Comments

  1. As usual, your blog is enlightening, yet entertaining. I think God broke the mold after He made you Mags! You are such a great writer. I love the way you express your feelings so eloquently. ox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, Thanks Roni! I appreciate your support xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Preferrential Option for God As 'She'

The Scandalous Feminine Three weeks ago I wrote a piece for the Catholic blog “God In All Things.” It’s a website devoted to the spiritual practices of St. Ignatius of Loyola, featuring writing on prayer, discernment, imagination, and a basic willingness to see God in, well, all things. The topic of my piece was “Spiritual Déjà vu,” an expression I coined to describe the heightened sense of God’s presence when we encounter deep truths.  The essay was a total of 1,148 words in length, but there was only one word that evoked controversy: She . It was used only once, in the first sentence: “I used to be quite frustrated that God never spoke directly to me the way She spoke to the Hebrew prophets.” And yet, it provoked a deluge of comments ranging from the dismissive, “ Why is God…”she”? I do not understand that? I’m reluctant to even read past that” to the recommendation that I, “ review the sins of Heresy, Apostasy and Schism.”   Basically the comments section reads...

The First Negotiation

The morning light licks the corners of my face, repeatedly, until I consent to opening my eyes. She makes her gradual way across the bed, nudging her most promising sign of hope unto the tossled ivory. The sun is far more gentle than any alarm clock I’ve ever fought, though no less insistent. In such radiant self-giving, how many times can I roll over? So we strike a compromise: I will flip my pillow and “rest” my head, but promise to keep my eyes a flutter, little windows parted slightly for the streams of her still light. Sometimes I up the bargain, telling her that there is really no better way to receive her glory, no greater praise of her warmth, than to surrender consciousness upon her lap, just a little. She will often reply by shedding new light upon the floor, warming a most suggestive path out into the kitchen. My stomach grumbles. Are you sure you don’t want to try freezing time again? I ask. You, me and the sheets, forever curled in our secret morning splendor...

The Genetics of Compassion

Genetics can be tough. One look at both my parents’ dental history reveals I had zero chances of inheriting strong teeth. A winning smile, sure, but quality, cavity-resistant chompers were out of the question. This is why, by the time I graduated college, I’d lost count of the number of fillings I had endured (over twenty).    I can tell you I had precisely two root canals because they involve the most intensive drilling, complete removal of the pulp of the tooth, and two additional appointments to reconstruct and crown your sad shell of a tooth.   And while you might imagine that the aggregated hours, ney weeks, I’ve spent underneath fluorescent lights with latex fingers and a suction in my mouth have made me into a steely veteran, the opposite has been true.   I’m sorry to say that experience has left me more traumatized than heroic. So it was with sudden panic that I woke one morning to a throbbing toothache.   For two days I traded te...