Skip to main content

Sacred Geometry

The Dance Complex is an establishment in Cambridge, operating for decades with six floors of dance studios and the most eclectic variety of classes you could possibly imagine. They have everything from break dancing to salsa to organic ballet, which must entail hemp leotards, right? And with a cheap drop-in, pay as you go option, it’s the perfect excuse to experiment with one of the many dancing hybridizations they offer. So experiment I did—with a course in tribal belly dancing.

The Harvard Gazette recently published an article on staying sane, in which Laura Kubzansky, HSPH associate professor of society, human development, and health, wrote, “Everyone needs to find a way be in the moment, to find a restorative state that allows them to put down their burdens.” Dance is one of those exceptional activities that transfixes my mind long enough to forget itself. Sometimes I am completely suspended by the challenge of learning a new move, captivated by a new pattern of subtle twists and body isolations. Other times, usually after much practice, the dance becomes an intuitive expression that performs itself, without any effort or consciousness on my part. Like spinning a hula hoop, I could go for days. Either way, I am fully present to the moment.

It was during one of these ultra focused moments that my belly dancing teacher said something that would disrupt my whole world in an instant. “This next move mirrors the symbol for eternity, akin to a figure eight.” She demonstrated the weaving motion, and then added, “It’s as if you are tracing eternity with your hips.”

My heart raced, and a million tiny hairs stood on end, saluting some basic truth that they have always known. This was the most delicious poetry I had ever tasted. And, yet, it was intended for so much more than my lips.

She continued, lyrically improvising the figure eight sway and the meaning embodied by it: “People may not recognize this consciously, but it is intended to speak to the latent yearnings for eternity. We are enacting a kind of sacred geometry with our bodies.”

Now if that doesn’t implode every tidy category of the sacred and profane, the mind and the body, the spirit and the flesh, I do not know what will. It purposefully disrupts any notion that we have about spiritual enlightenment belonging to the intellectual or mental sphere alone, because it insists that our bodies, without external direction, naturally grope towards eternal truths. All of which is to say, I think if I want to become more adept recognizing real wisdom, than I ought to listen to what my body is saying. And if I want this wisdom to take real effect in my life, through my actions, attitudes and behavior, well then, I’ve got to keep on whirling!

Comments

  1. Love, love this post. I have loved belly dancing for as long as I can remember, having mostly practiced at home, and having taken a couple of classes officially (being shy). Never considered Tribal, but after your post, will put this on my list of explorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Lorna. I wish you many great dances and trust that you presence on the floor is bound to empower other women to join you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sites web page design is very nice and its photos are also too.Its commenting system with google account is very very fine,we have a site of ancient geometry
    for more information just click here.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another Reflection on Breaking-Up

It’s happening again.   One of my good friends is on the other end of a telephone call, holding back tears as she recounts the details of her recent break-up. She is a strong, fiercely independent woman, who has counseled and coached the rest of us through the emotional train wreck of many collective break-ups.   Two years ago, she told me, “Maggi, when you end a relationship, you find yourself waking up every morning to a dull heart-ache perched upon your chest and you really, really believe your world is over.”   You roll yourself out of bed anyway. You make the route cup of coffee.   You stumble into the shower and let the steam swell around you.   If you’re feeling especially lifeless, you drape your hair over your ears, so that the cascade of hot water makes a deep rushing sound, like being swept beneath the sea to a powerfully calm, fetal state of being, where the roar of running water drowns out all the piercing thoughts in your head.   You long to sink into this nothi

“Storyteller”: Yet Another Tribute to My Aunts & an Account For My Hope

Rod Stewart is one sexy man. This is, at least, what my aunts have conveyed to me over years of concert going, stage crashing, and radio blasting rides. Apparently, the only thing that compares to that dirty blonde rock and roll mane and those skin tight leopard pants, is a voice so raspy and soulful it “will steal your heart away.” And while I wanted nothing more than to tag along with my mom and aunts, each of them icons of that oh-so-distantly-enchanted womanhood, the concerts were always waaay past my bedtime. So I perched on the edge of the bed as late as I could, watching them gussy up in a cloud of Hairnet and polka dot ensembles, as they convinced me that a dab of confidence was all one needed to storm the stage like a rock star. And dance with Rod, of course. Were You Tube around in the 80s, they would have video footage testifying to their stage-robbing fame and you would have no trouble imagining how enormously cool they really were. Whether boosting one anot

A Preferrential Option for God As 'She'

The Scandalous Feminine Three weeks ago I wrote a piece for the Catholic blog “God In All Things.” It’s a website devoted to the spiritual practices of St. Ignatius of Loyola, featuring writing on prayer, discernment, imagination, and a basic willingness to see God in, well, all things. The topic of my piece was “Spiritual Déjà vu,” an expression I coined to describe the heightened sense of God’s presence when we encounter deep truths.  The essay was a total of 1,148 words in length, but there was only one word that evoked controversy: She . It was used only once, in the first sentence: “I used to be quite frustrated that God never spoke directly to me the way She spoke to the Hebrew prophets.” And yet, it provoked a deluge of comments ranging from the dismissive, “ Why is God…”she”? I do not understand that? I’m reluctant to even read past that” to the recommendation that I, “ review the sins of Heresy, Apostasy and Schism.”   Basically the comments section reads like a m