Skip to main content

The First Negotiation


The morning light licks the corners of my face, repeatedly, until I consent to opening my eyes. She makes her gradual way across the bed, nudging her most promising sign of hope unto the tossled ivory. The sun is far more gentle than any alarm clock I’ve ever fought, though no less insistent. In such radiant self-giving, how many times can I roll over?

So we strike a compromise: I will flip my pillow and “rest” my head, but promise to keep my eyes a flutter, little windows parted slightly for the streams of her still light. Sometimes I up the bargain, telling her that there is really no better way to receive her glory, no greater praise of her warmth, than to surrender consciousness upon her lap, just a little. She will often reply by shedding new light upon the floor, warming a most suggestive path out into the kitchen. My stomach grumbles.

Are you sure you don’t want to try freezing time again? I ask. You, me and the sheets, forever curled in our secret morning splendor. She only laughs at the mention of freezing anything. Anathema, I know. But always worth a try. I buy a few more minutes by reminding her of how important it is, for my health, to begin each day with a renewed sense of abundance and that her light pools such life within me. She is both prayer and blessing. I could drink this light all day, were it not for the hunger she replies. So I stretch once more, let me toes dangle in her sight and then drop down into puddles of grace.

Thus begins the day, in a semi-lucid, ridiculously affectionate set of negotiations between me and the light. And I can think of no better way to play human, than to bargain, very much like my grandfather, for regular installments of grace. Isn't that how we've always done it when waking to the tender reality of our bodies?

Comments

  1. Just one of the things I love so much about you, you see and appreciative the glory and love in so many ways then share it with others so generously. Love you and immensly proud of you. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find perfect photos to enhance your writings! Yep sure do love you.xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh mom. Can I do no wrong? ;-) teehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree wholeheartedly with your mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply beautiful Mags! You have such essence to your writings.
    Someone, someday is going to come across one of these and ask you to write a book, play, movie or song. You look at life wonderfully.
    I love you tons! oxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another Reflection on Breaking-Up

It’s happening again.   One of my good friends is on the other end of a telephone call, holding back tears as she recounts the details of her recent break-up. She is a strong, fiercely independent woman, who has counseled and coached the rest of us through the emotional train wreck of many collective break-ups.   Two years ago, she told me, “Maggi, when you end a relationship, you find yourself waking up every morning to a dull heart-ache perched upon your chest and you really, really believe your world is over.”   You roll yourself out of bed anyway. You make the route cup of coffee.   You stumble into the shower and let the steam swell around you.   If you’re feeling especially lifeless, you drape your hair over your ears, so that the cascade of hot water makes a deep rushing sound, like being swept beneath the sea to a powerfully calm, fetal state of being, where the roar of running water drowns out all the piercing thoughts in your head.   You long to sink into this nothi

The Genetics of Compassion

Genetics can be tough. One look at both my parents’ dental history reveals I had zero chances of inheriting strong teeth. A winning smile, sure, but quality, cavity-resistant chompers were out of the question. This is why, by the time I graduated college, I’d lost count of the number of fillings I had endured (over twenty).    I can tell you I had precisely two root canals because they involve the most intensive drilling, complete removal of the pulp of the tooth, and two additional appointments to reconstruct and crown your sad shell of a tooth.   And while you might imagine that the aggregated hours, ney weeks, I’ve spent underneath fluorescent lights with latex fingers and a suction in my mouth have made me into a steely veteran, the opposite has been true.   I’m sorry to say that experience has left me more traumatized than heroic. So it was with sudden panic that I woke one morning to a throbbing toothache.   For two days I traded terror for denial, hoping

“Storyteller”: Yet Another Tribute to My Aunts & an Account For My Hope

Rod Stewart is one sexy man. This is, at least, what my aunts have conveyed to me over years of concert going, stage crashing, and radio blasting rides. Apparently, the only thing that compares to that dirty blonde rock and roll mane and those skin tight leopard pants, is a voice so raspy and soulful it “will steal your heart away.” And while I wanted nothing more than to tag along with my mom and aunts, each of them icons of that oh-so-distantly-enchanted womanhood, the concerts were always waaay past my bedtime. So I perched on the edge of the bed as late as I could, watching them gussy up in a cloud of Hairnet and polka dot ensembles, as they convinced me that a dab of confidence was all one needed to storm the stage like a rock star. And dance with Rod, of course. Were You Tube around in the 80s, they would have video footage testifying to their stage-robbing fame and you would have no trouble imagining how enormously cool they really were. Whether boosting one anot