Skip to main content

Pilgrim Crossing


I embarked upon my trip to Boston or the New World, as it were, in search of a great adventure. I dreamed of old buildings, laced in ivy and finding three Irish pubs in one square block. I dreamed of autumn colors, charming footbridges and the glow of the city on the bay. And all of this has come true. But nowhere in my great adventure did I map out, in much detail, the part about it being 29 icy degrees with a wind chill and ever shortening days. “Isn’t that part of your adventure?” my mom asks from cushy California. “Well,” I reply, “I suppose I better relocate my notion of an adventure.” Navigating the Venetian canals with a bottle of vino? Adventure. Trekking the snow-encrusted gorges of Mt. Everest? Not so much. Bundling up with warm woolen-mittens and a cute periwinkle knit beanie? Adventure. Wearing a “gator neck” that covers my face like a bandit or a burka? A new, but necessary fashion low for me.

I am sure that many of the thick-blooded New Englanders think I am completely overreacting. Plenty remind me that I “ain’t seen nothin yet.” But occasionally one takes pity on me. While waiting to cross the street, my friend Michael, a New Jersey native, attempted to engage me in conversation that he hoped would take my mind off the cold. But all I could do was shiver, and stammer and shake in total disbelief of my mind-numbing surroundings. Finally, realizing what he’s up against, Michael says to me, “You know what, it’s ok if you need to use all your brain power to keep warm right now. I understand.” Then a stranger joins in: “Hey, you’re shivering! That’s a good thing! It means your body’s working to stay warm, sending out all kinds of endorphins and stuff.” He hollers all of this into the dark night, his laughter puffing forth in little white clouds.

Well, if nothing else we are all in this together, I muse. Strangers are offering me encouragement in the crosswalk. Friends are excusing my inability to form sentences. The whole experience of living in a freezing climate is so ridiculous, so consuming, that we can not help but laugh about it, making our own little white puff clouds as we scurry through the streets. The real adventure, I am beginning to suspect, is seeing how the cold, with its shrill howls and nasty bite, actually brings people together, enlivening ways of relating to each other that we might not know without a common hardship. Who knew the cold could be such a mighty equalizer? Pilgrims, no doubt.

I luxuriate in the warmth of this new reflection, its poetic resonance with journeying to the “New World,” and the well-heated train ride back to Cambridge . When I share something of my hopeful discovery to Michael, he promptly quips: “Don’t worry, you’ve got another 4 or 5 more months to figure it out…”

Ha ha. Fantastic.

Comments

  1. Maggi, glad to see you're still writing. And I'm shocked that a girl from the OC doesn't like cold weather...it's all about wearing the right coat. -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan! Good to hear from you. For your information, I have the warmest possible North Face coat a girl could ask for, and still, bbbrrrrrrr ;-)
    Have you been writing much lately? Send me a link if you are!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another Reflection on Breaking-Up

It’s happening again.   One of my good friends is on the other end of a telephone call, holding back tears as she recounts the details of her recent break-up. She is a strong, fiercely independent woman, who has counseled and coached the rest of us through the emotional train wreck of many collective break-ups.   Two years ago, she told me, “Maggi, when you end a relationship, you find yourself waking up every morning to a dull heart-ache perched upon your chest and you really, really believe your world is over.”   You roll yourself out of bed anyway. You make the route cup of coffee.   You stumble into the shower and let the steam swell around you.   If you’re feeling especially lifeless, you drape your hair over your ears, so that the cascade of hot water makes a deep rushing sound, like being swept beneath the sea to a powerfully calm, fetal state of being, where the roar of running water drowns out all the piercing thoughts in your head.   You long to sink into this nothi

The Genetics of Compassion

Genetics can be tough. One look at both my parents’ dental history reveals I had zero chances of inheriting strong teeth. A winning smile, sure, but quality, cavity-resistant chompers were out of the question. This is why, by the time I graduated college, I’d lost count of the number of fillings I had endured (over twenty).    I can tell you I had precisely two root canals because they involve the most intensive drilling, complete removal of the pulp of the tooth, and two additional appointments to reconstruct and crown your sad shell of a tooth.   And while you might imagine that the aggregated hours, ney weeks, I’ve spent underneath fluorescent lights with latex fingers and a suction in my mouth have made me into a steely veteran, the opposite has been true.   I’m sorry to say that experience has left me more traumatized than heroic. So it was with sudden panic that I woke one morning to a throbbing toothache.   For two days I traded terror for denial, hoping

“Storyteller”: Yet Another Tribute to My Aunts & an Account For My Hope

Rod Stewart is one sexy man. This is, at least, what my aunts have conveyed to me over years of concert going, stage crashing, and radio blasting rides. Apparently, the only thing that compares to that dirty blonde rock and roll mane and those skin tight leopard pants, is a voice so raspy and soulful it “will steal your heart away.” And while I wanted nothing more than to tag along with my mom and aunts, each of them icons of that oh-so-distantly-enchanted womanhood, the concerts were always waaay past my bedtime. So I perched on the edge of the bed as late as I could, watching them gussy up in a cloud of Hairnet and polka dot ensembles, as they convinced me that a dab of confidence was all one needed to storm the stage like a rock star. And dance with Rod, of course. Were You Tube around in the 80s, they would have video footage testifying to their stage-robbing fame and you would have no trouble imagining how enormously cool they really were. Whether boosting one anot